10 February 2011

Try out Coborns Delivers for groceries

Getting groceries delivered is a luxury — one that Coborns makes easy to obtain.

Formerly SimonDelivers, Coborns now services the Twin Cities area and St. Cloud. I have to confess that I’ve never stepped foot in an actual Coborn’s store, but I’ve sure been enjoying the groceries that have been delivered to my place the last few weeks!

I had a few concerns when I started.

• I’m pretty picky about my produce; would the stuff I get delivered be fresh?

Not only was it fresh, but we received the yummiest blueberries I’ve ever had! They weren’t mushy; they weren’t flavorless. Instead they were popping with flavor. My daughter and I ate the whole cartoon in one sitting. Delicious! I was quite impressed.

• Would it be a pain to have to wait around for the delivery?

I do have to plan a delivery for when I know I’ll be home because of the neighborhood I live in. In some ways that’s a little stressful because right now I’m coming and going a lot. Coborns assigns you a four to five-hour window when your groceries will come (you pick the day and whether it’s morning or afternoon). The day of the delivery, you can log onto your account to find out a specific time, with a half-hour cushion. The really nice thing is you can sign up for notifications via either email or text to let you know if something has changed. Last week when it snowed, my time ended up changing four or five times; I completely understood and was glad it wasn’t me out in that weather trying to drive and then haul the groceries into the house. I hate parking across the street, climbing over the snowbanks, digging for my keys when my hands are full, and then climbing the flight of stairs into my upper duplex. That’s why I love grocery delivery so much. If you live in a good neighborhood, you can have the groceries delivered when you’re not home. The insulated totes everything comes keep food good for several hours. Then you can either store the totes until your next delivery, or call to have them picked up.

I also like it that I can recycle the insulated bags my fruit come in, as well as the various plastic bags the rest of the groceries are in. I just need to send them back next time I get an order.

• Would my choices be limited?

I have discovered that I can’t find everything I usually buy at Coborns. But then, I’ve been shopping at a co-op and regular grocery store for years, so I’m used to going a few places for my groceries. They do have a “Organic & Natural” page that I go to. I haven’t been able to find the specific Greek-style yogurt I eat, the Babybel cheese my two-year-old is addicted to, or bread on par with what the Seward Co-op sells (olive - yum!). But for the most part, I’m just switching brands and I’ve been fine.

There is also a page for “Local Favorites” which features items from local restaurants, bakeries, businesses and farms. Among these are Ruhland’s Studel, MinneSalsa, Angie’s Kettle Corn, Thousand Hills Cattle Company, Izzy’s Ice Cream, D’Amico & Sons, Great Harvest Bread Company and Peace Coffee. I’m a little disappointed they’ve discontinued carrying the Alexis Bailey Ratafia; maybe they’ll bring it back.

• Would I like shopping online for groceries or would I forget stuff because I wasn’t being reminded by the sight of things?

I’ve become a huge fan of online shopping this year because it’s so much easier than dragging my kid out in the cold and then through the store. She doesn’t have a whole lot of patience and would rather be running around at a park. Thus far, grocery shopping has been a matter of clicking and buying. I did forget something this week, and there’s a helpful box that comes up right before you finish your purchase asking if you forgot something — and it provides you with a list of some of the items you bought last time. How nice is that?

Also, every time you shop after the first one you can go to your Master List and view items purchased from the last eight orders. This makes ordering much faster. I don’t know about you, but I tend to buy the same stuff each week. We always need oranges, bananas, Soy milk, avocados and lettuce.

I like that I can order the afternoon or evening before (by 11 p.m.) and get my groceries delivered the next day. Apparently you can get same-day delivery for an additional fee. And so far the delivery guys have been super friendly and nice. If I’ve got questions, they’ve got answers. I’ve also called in a few times to ask questions and to get help making sure my coupons work. I get a real person without having to press too many buttons, and they’ve also been friendly and helpful. You don’t find that everywhere.

• Do the groceries cost more? How much is delivery?

I have to confess that so far I’m so enamoured with grocery delivery that I haven’t compared pennies to pennies what I’m spending. Delivery is usually just $5 (a deal, I think!), and right now I have free delivery for three months as a new customer. I also got $20 off my first order because a friend refered me, and now through a couple promotions I’ll save $50 on three orders. I like that there is a special tab for “Specials,” and I can shop off that if I want. And there’s a button for “Penny Pincher Coupons.” You can use manufacturer coupons, as well; just input the amount saved at checkout and then hand your delivery guy the envelope of coupons with your order number on it. You can access the Weekly Specials ad, which conveniently also comes with your order so you can scan it before ordering the next week.

There’s a club for almost everyone, too: The Baby Club, the Wine Club, and the Pet Club. You earn rewards after purchasing a certain amount. For example, if you’re part of the Baby Club, you get a $10 voucher for groceries after you spend $150 in infant purchases.

I’m thrilled that I can order beer, wine and spirits and have them delivered by the nice Coborn’s man. (I just have to be home to sign for it.) Again, I hate trying to hold my daughter and carry all that stuff out of a store. I don’t have that many hands.

I recommend using Coborns Delivers. It’s been great for us! And I only feel slightly lazy.

FEATURES:

• Next-day delivery, 7 days a week.

Available in most neighborhoods. Order by 11 p.m.

• No need to be home for delivery.

Insulated totes keep groceries fresh or frozen for hours.

FIND OUT MORE:

Call 763-971-4900

Browse www.cobornsdelivers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails