10 March 2011

Thanks for the inspiring lives

Who has most inspired me? That’s a tough question. It’s one I’ve been pondering for several days in light of International Women’s Day (which was two days ago. Oops. I’m a little late on my post.)


The problem is, I can’t come up with One Woman whom I most admire and try to emmulate. I’ve been racking my brain for days, but there hasn’t been someone like that in my life. Rather, there have been many women who have inspired me in little ways.


• My mom

My mom has always inspired me by listening to my dreams and encouraging me to make them happen. She believes that a parent should help identify the talents in a child, and then encourage them to make what they want out of it. She never pushed me — she wasn’t a parent who was more interested in my hobby than I was. Instead, she said you’re a good writer. And then I felt empowered to write.


• My best friend, Amy

There is a reason Amy has been my best friend since second grade. I admire the way she looks at the world. She is always learning. She is always trying to do what she thinks is best — best for the world, for her family and for others. She thinks through issues; she researches before making snap decisions. She listens. She’s a fantastic mother who is making her own path, and I rely on her for sound advice. Plus, she’s trained as a therapist and man does that come in handy when I’m going crazy!


• Jenni

Somehow Jenni has taken what was a tough childhood by any definition and transformed it into a good life for herself. She’s happily married with two gorgeous daughters. She lets me know that I don’t have to repeat the mistakes of my parents. I can make my life what I want it to be. When we talk, she offers insightful comments that rattle around in my head for days.


• Danielle

After her sister was murdered, my friend was able to see more than her grief and know that there was a little boy who needed care. She wasn’t ready to have kids, but she did it and adopted her nephew. That takes courage. It hasn’t always been easy, but she’s always shown that it’s always rewarding. Her big heart inspires me.


• Aunt Cindy

My aunt has also survived some tough times and came out kicking. She tries to savor each moment these days, knowing that life is short and you have to enjoy the happiness you find. When I went through my divorce and remarriage, she was a pillar of support, offering encouragement and wisdom. It was so wonderful to have someone in my life who had been there and understood.


• My long-time editor Linda

We didn’t always agree on everything about our newspaper, but my long-time editor Linda provided the input to shape me into the writer I am today. I came to her not knowing much about journalism and she taught me what I needed to know to do the job. If I used a word incorrectly, she wrote the definition in the margin. She corrected me when I didn’t use AP Style correctly. She listened to me rant about various government meetings. She challenged the assumptions I made. She modeled what an editor who cares about her community is like. After working together side-by-side for 10 years, I have to confess that I don’t see her much anymore, but she’s left a mark on my life that won’t fade away.


• Cambridge City Administrator Lynda Woulfe

During my years as a reporter, I saw plenty of people in government that made me go hmmm, but Lynda was never one of them. She transformed a city hall that had focused on itself into one that focused on the community. With a laugh and a gentle push, she made friends and she got things done.


• My ex-MIL Linda (I’ve known a lot of Lindas, huh?)

Between my mother and my ex-MIL, I was set on a path of natural care and whole foods. We don’t talk anymore, but we used to spend hours discussing health-related issues. She helped me form my own ideas on what is good to eat and what I should avoid, along with vitamins I should add to my diet and ways I could can tomatoes. When my wrists hurt all the time, she told me I was deficient on the B vitamins — and when I added that supplement from Eniva the pain went away like magic. I also discovered that homeopathy wasn’t just some weird thing my mom did, but a valuable method of healthcare. She taught me many things that I use today.


Many of L.M. Montgomery's characters have inspired me over the years, from Anne of Green Gables to Emily of New Moon to Jane of Lantern Hill.

• Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables was a powerful inspiration for me from the time I first encountered the novels L.M. Montgomery wrote. Then I watched the movies we taped off PBS over and over and over until she became real to me. Anne preserved. She was funny. She wrote. She found happiness with Gilbert and her children. She had a fiery temper, but you could count on her to love and never let go. She was adventurous, imaginative and determined.


• My Bible study ladies

I avoided church and organized religion for years, turned off by hypocrites who professed one thing but did another. Then I started attending the Morning Blend Bible study at Park Methodist in Minneapolis. I discovered a whole new set of Christians. They are welcoming. They believe in truth, but they try not to judge. They are wise and they’ve made me believe again.


• Mary Ellen Ashcroft

As my writing and literature instructor, Mary Ellen Ashcroft opened my eyes to so many things in college. I’ll never forget reading women’s literature during my first Interim at Bethel. I was introduced to other voices and ideas in her classes. I grew as a person because of it. And I still love Ursula Le Guin!


• Valancy Stirling

The heroine of L.M. Montgomery’s lesser known adult book, “The Blue Castle,” has always inspired me. When she is diagnosed with a terminal heart ailment at age 29, Valancy rebels against her family and the life they have imposed on her. She takes care of an ailing friend and then proposes to a reckless and wild adventurer who intrigues her and makes her laugh. She finally makes her life her own.


• Lucy from “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe”

Yep, Lucy has always been my favorite character in C.S. Lewis’ “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.” I admire those with a deep-rooted curiosity who set off an adventure and try to make the world better. Lucy has always embodied that for me. Plus, the way she loves is deep. I want to love like that.


• Nan Bailey

I admire a woman who runs her own business, like Nan Bailey of Alexis Bailey Vineyard. In a world dominated by men, it’s nice to find a successful woman to emulate. Someday, I’ll write books and make wine. Some day.


• Mayim Bialik, former “Blossom” star and current actress on “The Big Bang Theory”

Just this morning I stumbled upon the blog of former Blossom star Mayim Bialik (http://www.kveller.com/blog/members/mayim-bialik/), and I was inspired to continue listening to my intuition and to not feel bad for how I choose to parent. In response to being criticized for “extreme parenting,” — a label she disagrees with — Bialik said this: "I am not negligent for doing things you don’t agree with. I am simply listening to my intuition, doing research, and really enjoying the ride."


Now that I’ve gotten started, I think I could keep going and going. I’m sure I’ve forgotten somebody. But the point wasn’t to write a comprehensive list, was it? It was just to give a little recognition to valuable women in my life. They are inspirations. Who inspires you?


1 comment:

  1. You inspire me! ...always asking the tough questions, being willing to make unpopular choices, trying new things, appreciating the beauty in life, organizing outings with "us girls." :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails