28 August 2011

SAHM seeking housekeeper


I’m just going to put it out there.

I am a housewife/stay-at-home-mom sort of person. But I hate to clean.
 
Deciding to stay at home with my daughter and only work part-time didn’t mean that I suddenly started to love vacuuming. Instead, I think my level of hatred went up a few notches. Back when I worked full-time at a time-eating, all-consuming job, I didn’t fully realize how a clean house only stayed that way for 2 minutes. I would clean, and then I’d head off somewhere fun or go away to work. Now that I stay home all the time I am constantly reminded that the cleaning NEVER. ENDS.

Just this morning, because my mom and sister were possibly coming over, I had the house spick and span. And I mean, it looked great. It practically gleamed. I don’t remember the last time I washed my counters, the faucet AND the table all at the same time. My daughter actually picked up almost all of the toys littering the entire main level floor space. I even carefullly arranged the pillows on my couch. But then, instead of leaving right away, we ended up at home another couple hours. And in less time than it took me to clean the fricking place, it was a disaster again. The only comment my mom could truthfully make when she got to my place was that the bathroom floor was really clean.

Ugh.

It’s kinda like the time I swept the floor mid-day, and by the time the hubby came home it was almost unpassable due to crumbs and toys. Oh, wait, that’s every day.

I really don’t think I’m the only SAHM out there who doesn’t find a whole lot of satisfaction in the whole Martha Stewart-inspired housekeeping. Why is it that other women and our husbands think that our houses should match those magazines just because we no longer work outside of the house? Let me tell you: In the course of my day at home, I have a million things to do. And well, housework, it falls at the bottom of my To Do list.

And I don’t want to hear how I should have plenty of time to do it and what else do I do all day. It’s not I’m sitting around watching soaps, I can tell you that.

But who wants to clean constantly?

Not this SAHM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails