10 May 2011

A disservice to women


Feminists have done women a disservice. Instead of valuing the work done in a home, they turned around and said women should enter the “work force” and prove they were as good as men. Look at us 40 years later. The work women (and men) do at home is not valued. At all.


I don’t know about you, but when someone asks me what I do I feel the need to tack on a whole bunch of other things to “stay-at-home-mom.” And I teach. And I attend grad school. And I write for a mommy blog. And. And. And.


I admit that part of the problem is in my own misconceptions, and how I’ve sucked up our culture’s value system. I’m working to change that personally. But how can I change society? Our culture doesn’t value a woman unless she is contributing outside the home. How many of you get the “do you do anything else?” when you say you’re a stay-at-home-mom?


A newsletter from a wise therapist I know really hit home with me a few days before Mother’s Day. She wrote about how our culture pays lip service to moms on Mother’s Day, but people don’t live like they value mothering (or fathering for that matter) the rest of the year. Sure, we all take a few moments out of our lives on Mother’s Day to tell mom how great she is. But what do we do the rest of the year? Do we tell her how wonderful it is that she’s washing dishes, making meals, cleaning the house, doing the 100th load of laundry and making the house a home the rest of the 364 days of the year? Do we tell moms how valuable the time they spend with their kids are? Do we foster a culture that values kids? Or do we encourage parents to leave their kids home to attend weddings (where the point of the event is to start a family!!), leave their kids home to have fun, and leave their kids home when they go on vacations? I’ve definitely gotten the impression that folks think I’m too tied to my daughter because I bring her most places with me. But ya know what?


I enjoy spending time with her. I think she’s a great little person. I actually like her.


I believe that what I’m doing as mom is one of the most important things I could be doing. For all you moms out there (who may have had terrible mother’s days!), I want you to know: You are doing something that is so valuable and important. I truly believe that. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails