10 December 2013

Apples = autumn

Apples are a big part of our autumn. We pick them and make them into applesauce. Yum! My dad and his business partner both have orchards, and so we aren't lacking when it comes to apples.







Two full days picking, slicing and blending apples amounted to 132 pints of sugar-free apple sauce.

Our recipe is simple. Core and chop off any bad parts. Blend in a Vitamix. Heat. Can. Eat!

To go with our focus on apples, my DD memorized this poem:

JOHNNY APPLESEED

Oh, the Lord's been good to me.
And so I thank the Lord.
For giving me the things I need:
The Sun, the rain and the appleseed.
Oh, the Lord's been good to me.

Oh, and every seed I sow
Will grow into a tree.
And someday there'll be apples there
For everyone in the world to share.
Oh, the Lord's been good to me.

OTHER ACTIVITIES
We enjoyed an apple book that shows the progression from seed to being eaten. Print out your own at:
http://www.dltk-teach.com/minibooks/apples/index.htm

This web site also has story sequencing card:
http://www.dltk-teach.com/minibooks/apples/sequencing.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails