06 April 2014

Watch the birds at Wood Lake Nature Center

I was minutes from home in South Minneapolis, but I felt like I was out in the country. My brain knew that I35W was on the other side of those trees, but the only thing my eyes saw was a marsh. Birds. Trees. Ah.

How peaceful.

Next time my heart yearns for a rural view and I don't have time to drive up to Cambridge, I'm heading to Wood Lake Nature Center in Richfield.

The kids were thrilled to catch them feeding the 3 resident turtles -- especially The Boy who just loves turtles. The snake gets fed once a week, as well, but it must not be on Mondays.

The Boy also loved all the taxidermy animals, and was brave enough to stick his little hand into the Guess It area. The Girl loved checking out the different bird calls. We all enjoyed sitting near the bird feeders and watching the large number of birds that visited. And the coolest thing was spotting a coyote - or was it two?! The coyote came almost to the window once. Wow! And then it went back out on the iced over marsh. Next time we're definitely going for a walk through this amazing marsh that's right in the city. Fed, in fact, by the city of Richfield's stormwater system. (Isn't that a great idea?!) I'm also interested in their classes and fun birthday party outings.

Listen to various bird calls



Informational board contained this very informative article!

The main room was full of different stuffed animals and a few dioramas.


A view out onto the marsh -- WHERE WE SAW COYOTES!

Maple Syrup boiling down in the courtyard



Painting, learning letters and studying birds - what a great afternoon!
Learning our letter V
What a great kids corner...
with a puppet stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails