23 July 2010

Local music scene

I love listening to lesser-known, but quite talented musicians. For the past 6 or so years, I've been a part of a group in Cambridge that brings in musical groups to the high school. At theHardy Center we try to offer a range of artists. We've had Ladysmith Black Mumbazo, Jay Ungar and Molly Mason, Go Fish, Greg Brown, Leon Redbone, Michael Monroe, Jeffrey Steele,Clearwater Hot Club and more. I go to shows, knowing that even if I've never heard the musician before, I'll leave a fan. It never fails.

I am also blessed to be good friends with another talented musician. Christopher Becknell took violin lessons for years, and then taught himself guitar. After having the basics down, he took classical guitar lessons -- a genre I hadn't know existed before. Christopher has broadened my musical horizons. I've been fan of each musical group he's been a part of. With the baby, I don't get a chance to catch many of his (late-night) shows, but I was thrilled this summer when I saw he had two day time shows. The first was at the wonderful Art Fair along St. Anthony in June. The second was on the steps of the Northrup Auditorium on the U of M campus and was especially for all of us who worship the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails