12 July 2010

Romantic bike ride




For our anniversary this year, the hubby and I decided to do dinner and a bike

ride, part of our new plan to bike together as a family. And no, by "bike" I don't mean "motorcycle." I actually mean "bicycle" again.


I have to admit since I started to drive a car, I've only been on my

bicycle a handful of times. There was the time I decided to start biking to work (which lasted one day), and the time I decided to start biking on vacation again (which lasted one weekend trip to Itasca State Park). But now that I have a child I’ve decided it's time to get back into it. When I think back on my own childhood, most memories involve a bike. We biked to town almost every day when I was a kid. At the least, we biked to the neighbor's and

around our cul-de-sac. I remember the trips my parents took us and the miles of trails we covered across this state.


I figure that as an added benefit, this biking might help me shed the last pregnancy pounds I've got!


So, using Google's new tool for locating bike trails (I love my Google phone aps!), we found one near the restaurant we were heading to on our anniversary. We hoped onto the Ground Rounds trail system by the Columbia Heights Golf Course, parking on a neighborhood street. Then we headed towards the Mississippi River. Along the way, we passed over a huge train yard, crossing from one park area to another. Because of road and bridge construction, the area near the river was practically deserted. We saw one other couple riding bikes; otherwise, we had the place to ourselves.




1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails