19 April 2011

Rescued by Go Fish

Car rides with my 2-year-old are only manageable with the help of Go Fish, the acapella group that switched over to doing kids music in 2003. Before I added Go Fish to the car, the 1-hour rides to Cambridge once a week for my job were a nightmare.

The Go Fish guys have saved me from a screaming 2-year-old.

I packed her snacks. They ended up strewn all over the floor and crushed into her car seat.


I packed her toys. I discovered the dolls on the opposite side of the backseat.


I made sure she had three nuks. She could never find them. So we had to stop so that I could point out they were stuffed between her leg and the car seat side, easily within her reach.


I tried the radio. I tried ignoring her. I tried talking to her.


The only thing that would stop the shrill screams and rolling tears was if I sang every song I knew. And the only song I could remember in those situations was “Itsy, Bitsy Spider.” Yeah. It’s her favorite. But really how many times can you sing that 25-second song before you want to rip your own vocal chords out? I typically could make it just a few miles and then my attention span went kaput.


Finally I thought to bring along the mixed CD my friend had given me months prior, the one I had shoved aside thinking my baby was waaaay too young for.


Turns out she’s not. She’s already a music lover. A very opinionated music lover. The only music she’ll listen to is Go Fish. No Big ‘N Rich. No SHeDAISY. No, not even Led Zeppelin will satisfy her. Go Fish or nothing.


I’ve tried other kids music, such as the Philadelphia Chickens, Suzi Shelton and Mothersong Santa Cruz. For awhile she was okay with the Beach Boys. But now I get a very insistent “Uh, Uh, Uh!”

So, we listen to a lot of Go Fish. Thank goodness I’ve always been a fan. I remember the guys from my college days. Earlier albums included “Infectious” and “Parade” along with two great Christmas ones (“More than a Story” and “Snow”). They rocked the Excel once while I was in the audience with that great drum solo Jamie does to “The Little Drummer Boy.” Gosh, that was cool! I volunteered at numerous shows in Cambridge at the Hardy Center over the years too, getting to chat it up with Jamie Statema, Jason Folkmann and Andy Selness backstage before I introduced them. I have to confess that I was never too thrilled when they started singing the kids music during the concerts. I was in my 20s and didn’t have kids. I didn’t get it.


Now I do.


When you’re listening to the same music over and over and OVER with your kids, you really will go crazy if it isn’t good music. Go Fish prides itself on music that won’t drive parents bonkers. They succeed.

They’ve got six kids albums:

• Splash (2003) — Find out why Ladybugs should wear sunscreen, learn what would happen if kids ran the church, and hear all about a funky fish named Frankie! Among the selections are This Little Light of Mine and The B-I-B-L-E.

• Superstar (2004) - The Ten Commandment Boogie, Superstar, Lord I Lift Your Name on High, and Jesus Loves Me…need they say more?

• Snooze (2005) - Songs that are great for settling kids down. You’re My Little Girl, Catch a Falling Star, and Welcome to the World.

• Snazzy (2007) - Learn all the books of the Bible in three minutes, get funky while putting on your jammies, and get ready to start a mosh pit with David and Goliath. Includes the hits American Kid and Love Like This.

• Party Like A Preschooler (2008) - With Itsy, Bitsy Spider, this is my 2-year-old daughter’s favorite album. Selections include Do Your Ears Hang Low, 5 Little Monkeys, and Pop Goes the Weasel.

• Kickin’ It Old School (2010) - I didn’t know until today about this album, but I just ordered it. According to their web site, this is the album that proves your grandparents’ music is cooler than you think. Featuring songs like Blessed Assurance, Old Rugged Cross, and This Is My Father’s World.

• Groovy (2011) - The guys started recording this album with Denver & the Mile High Orchestra last month. I can’t wait until there’s another album. The guys could come out with another every few months and I wouldn’t complain.


Go Fish also has a couple DVDs and VBS curriculum. If you’ve get a chance to bring the kids to one of their shows, I recommend you go. Expect a great light show, kids bouncing in their seats and lots of energy. It’s a blast.


Find out more about Go Fish at: gofishguys.com


Jamie’s blog is at:

http://gofishguy.typepad.com/jamie_the_go_fish_guy/


Check them out on Facebook for the latest news.


1 comment:

  1. Best song ever though is "The Mom Song." I love that song of theirs!! They are a fun group and we love them too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails