01 July 2011

Barefoot on the beach Part 2: Finding vendors

Planning a wedding thousands of miles away in Belize proved challenging, to say the least.


While I could have opted to hire a wedding coordinator, I chose to save money and do the work myself, knowing there wasn't much I required.


What we needed was a location, a minister, a license and a photographer. That was it.


Finding a photographer was simple. There were three listed on the island's web site, and I was immediately stuck by the talent evidenced by one. And she was available. I sent Kay Scott the deposit via PayPal, and a sample of pictures I liked via email. Then I marked photographer off my To Do list. (www.kayscott.com)

This photo by Kay Scott turned out beautifully -- even though we thought we were going to sink in this little boat!
Photo by Kay Scott


For more fun "Trash the Dress" ideas, go to http://trashthedress.wordpress.com/. Photo by Kay Scott.
Photo by Kay Scott
Photo by Kay Scott
Photo by Kay Scott
Photo by Kay Scott. www.kayscott.com

We soon discovered our resort (Ramon’s) wasn't easy to work with, and had learned it could make a lot of money off weddings. Thus, we struck them off our list, and instead focused on finding our own officiant. It took awhile to find contact information, but we were finally linked up to Reverand David Simpson via another couple who used the online message board I was frequenting for tips. (ambergriscaye.com/forum/)


He was difficult to reach via phone, and checked his email even less, so we left for Belize on May 24 knowing we (likely) had an officiant set up and that was it. We'd never gotten around to getting a copy of the paperwork or the ceremony he used, and had not sent a deposit.


I have to admit, even I was a bit nervous.


I didn't want to have invited guests and then discover we couldn't get the paperwork in time to get married legally. But I had a back-up plan. There was always the Isanti County Courthouse and a justice of the peace for a quick, easy solution back home, if necessary.


It turns out, I didn't need to worry at all. We met with Rev. Simpson our first night in Belize, and met him again two nights later to fill out the paperwork. He suggested a few different locations, but we stumbled upon the perfect spot ourselves.

Since getting married at Estel's, I have fallen in love with this bright turquoise color. It reminds me of the ocean.

Following the recommendation of a travel book, we ate breakfast our first morning at Estel's on the beach. I fell in love with their mango-filled fryjacks and their view. Jesse loved their laid-back atmosphere. When we dropped by again a few days before the wedding, our waiter nonchalantly noted we could have our wedding on their beach if we wanted. Plus, they'd be more than happy to fry up the fish the guys planned to catch the morning of the ceremony. And, they'd make up a pitcher of sangria and a five-gallon bucket of rum punch. All for $8 a plate. (http://ambergriscaye.com/estels/)


We'd found the spot.


Charlie, owner of Estel's, brought me a Rum Punch mid photo shoot. Wasn't that sweet? It came decorated with "Bride".
My sister-in-law spent several hours in the rain picking the perfect flowers for my bouquet.
If you go to Estel's, be sure to try the mango fryjacks. Delish.
That's one big knife. It belonged to Estel's, and we sure had fun using it to cut the cake!

MORE IN SERIES

Click here to read Part 1 of Barefoot on the Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails