15 June 2009

Not your momma's cloth diapers

Cloth diapers aren’t what they used to be. I know what you envision when you think ‘cloth diaper’. You picture a white square and sharp safety pins. Well, think again!

Today’s cloth diapers are actually oh-so-easy to use. Think velcro and fleece. Plus, they’re actually adorable! Picture Dr. Suess and frog prints.



Today’s cloth diapers consist of an inner layer of cotton or fleece and an outer layer that is waterproof. Pop the diaper on and then put the cover over it. Others, known as all-in-ones or AIOs, have both the inner and outer parts in one diaper. I prefer those for use when I’m not at home. Daddy also prefers those and thinks they’re easier.

I began my quest for cloth diapers by visiting Pea Pods (www.peapods.com) on Snelling in St. Paul. I wanted to see and touch. I spent $100 and got a variety to test, including Bum Genius, Bamboozle (made of bamboo!), and Kissaluvs. I figured after I had tried them I could then order seconds off Craig’s List. The nice thing about cloth diapers is that although they are not cheap to buy new, they do retain their value very well.

Here’s what I’ve learned after three months of use:



My favorite diapers are Thirsties, and they’re not easy to find used. Thirsties are made of soft fleece and have velcro. They resist staining the best. And they come in great colors: bright orange, melon green, hot pink and more. The accompanying covers have gussets around the legs, which work well for my chubby-legged daughter.



I also love Bummies covers. They are great! The Bummies Super Brites also have gussets, but the regular have worked just fine for us. I love the frog print the best. Oh so cute!



The diapers that leak every time for us are the Kushies. Although they are the cheapest, and easily available at walmart.com, I wouldn’t recommend them. The triangular shape doesn’t keep anything in; it all seeps out around my daughter’s legs.




Although many rave about Bum Genius, I am not part of their fan club. They’re not terrible diapers by any means, but they’re not the best either. What I dislike most is that they are hard to get clean. With the Thirsties, the poo practically rinses out. The Bum Genius require scrubbing and whitening in the sun.



Kissaluvs are my second favorite. We actually started with about 20 used Kissaluv newborn diapers. They lasted my 9 lb, 12 oz baby only 2 weeks, but they worked great. The snaps are nice and make it easy to adjust for a tight fit around baby’s waist. Kissaluvs tend to be on the lower end of the price range for cloth diapers.



I also have about five AIO Bumpkins. They come in great designs. I use these most when I’m out of the house. They are Daddy’s favorites because they take just one step to put on.

PRICES:
Bum Genius 3.0 One Size Pocket Diaper $17.95
KIssaluvs pre-fitted $12.95
Thirsties Fab Fitted $14.25
Kushies: $49.95 for five
Bumpkins AIO: $24.95 or 6-pack bundle for $109.95

Bummies Super Whisper Wrap $12.25
Thirsties diaper cover $11.50

SIZES
Thirsties: XS 10-15 lbs, Sm 12-19 lbs, Med 14-22 lbs, Large 16-25 lbs
Kissaluvs: Size 0 - 5-15 lbs, Size 1 - 10-25 lbs, Size 2 - 20-40 lbs
Kushies: 10-22 lbs
Bumpkins: Sm 6-12 lbs, Med 12-22 lbs, Large 22-32 lbs, XL 32-42 lbs, Youth 42+ lbs
Bum Genius: one-size; adjust the snaps to lengthen

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great info Tesha! I am still trying to decide what is goning to work better with twins. I think if I was jsut having one I would try for sure. But I haven't made up my mind either way yet I still need to do some more pricing.

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews!! Now I know where to send people with questions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails