06 June 2009

Thoughts from a garage sale

The behavior of people fascinates me. I spent the last two days sitting at my garage sale watching people come and go. What amazes me is what they bought - and what they left.

No one even looked at the Noah’s Ark crib bumper and blanket set my mom set out. Or the baby bath I had for sale. But nearly all the bird houses my mother-in-law was getting rid of were sold.

All my furniture went: the futon, the bed frame and mattress, the television, and the entertainment center. Yet my sister couldn’t hardly sell the beautiful globe end table that I really wanted but don’t have room for.

Folks hardly gave her slipcovers a chance — but tried to buy the patio chairs underneath that weren’t for sale.

The table with kitchen gadgets - mugs, a George Foreman grill, pizza oven, and camping trays - remained untouched for two days.

The clothes my mom and I were selling for 10 cents never went, but the ones my sister sold for $5 went. Yet all the shoes went, and most of the purses.

It’s strange what people are shopping for at a garage sale. It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails