04 February 2012

Bring on the spinach



Pregnancy and iron-deficiency go hand-in-hand for me. I was sure this time around it would be different because I started taking an iron supplement the minute I knew I was pregnant. But that first pin-prick of blood revealed that I was just barely holding on, again. During my first pregnancy my hemoglobin wavered between 9 and 11.5, right there on the low end. I hemorrhaged at birth when a piece of my placenta tore, and the recovery was pretty long and drawn out. This time around, I want things to go differently. I need stronger blood.

Thus the focus in my household is this: make sure momma eats lots of iron. That means everyone is eating lots of iron-rich foods — my husband, my daughter, and anyone who comes for dinner. I should really buy a spinach farm given the amount of spinach I have been ingesting. I eat a spinach salad once a day, throw frozen spinach in my morning smoothie (pineapple and chocolate protein powder hide the taste quite nicely), and use it in whatever suppers I can get away with. The cool thing about frozen spinach is that if you break it up, it looks just like fresh herbs in a soup or hot dish. 

When I can, I mix that spinach with beef. We bought half a cow from a local farmer at the end of December. My freezer is packed to the brim with 90 pounds of burger, roasts, steaks, and soup bones. We’ve been eating so much beef I am almost sick of it and have been working at least one non-beef meal back into our supper rotation. But beef has lots of protein and iron, and so I’m going to suffer through it. Beef, it’s what’s for dinner, honey. As both my husband and daughter are carnivores, they don’t complain. I do draw the line at eating liver. My husband did his very best during my first pregnancy to cook me a lovely liver dinner. He marinated the stuff, and then grilled it. It should have been delicious, but I couldn’t choke down a single bite. It’s the thought that counts, right?


A big bottle of Floradix goes for about $38 on Amazon.com. Or, buy it from your local natural foods co-op or vitamin shop.
I take my Floradix liquid iron supplement religiously, as recommended by my midwife, Jeanne Bazille. Combined with B vitamins and vitamin C , it provides one of the highest absorption rate you can find. It doesn’t include any harmful additives, such as lead, pesticide residues, alcohol, preservatives or artificial coloring. And it is gluten-free. http://www.floradix.net/ I also use the calcium-magnesium blend to solve a variety of problems such as pregnancy-induced constipation. Floradix makes some great liquid vitamins. I’ve always preferred liquid vitamins as I hate swallowing pills. Plus, your body can ingest them faster and use them easier. Porta-potty owners will testify to the amount of pills they see in the potty that came right back out, unused by the body.

Are you struggling with anemia? I’d love to hear what you’re doing to resolve the issue!

Here’s a recipe you might want to try:


This cookbook focuses on local food shared by local folks.

POTATO SPINACH SOUP
From Spica Farm, Minnesota Homegrown Cookbook

Serves 6

3 cups potatoes, diced
1 large onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper (I added more. This really makes the soup!)
1 T. fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped, or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped, or 1/2 tsp. dried
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 lb. fresh spinach, chopped (I used frozen)
2 ounces cream cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese

Put 5 cups hot water in a large saucepan. Add the first seven ingredients. SImmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Add the rest of the ingredients. Heat and stir until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails