29 February 2012

Homeopathy for pregnancy

A few weekends ago, my round ligament pain was getting so severe I wondered if something more serious was wrong. It seemed like every time I moved, I was rewarded with a sharp, sudden pain in my abdominal area. It didn’t last long, but it was extremely uncomfortable and occured frequently. I started taking the homepathic remedy hypericum, which is good for muscle pain during pregnancy, and the symptoms have all but gone away.

I love how homepathy works like magic sometimes!


Homeopathy remedies come in a variety of strengths. The higher the number, the more diluted the remedy, and the stronger it is.
Pulsatilla is also a big favorite of mine. It’s good for those pregnancy mood swings (and the accompanying ones my toddler gets!). Last time I was pregnant my place of employment was going through some major changes that were quite unpleasant and unwelcome. I knew I just needed to get through until the baby was ready to come, but it wasn’t easy. Pulsatilla was a lifesaver there. And this time around, it’s great when I haven’t got my nap in and I’m a tad cranky. Hey, it’s those pregnancy hormones! I don’t think they’re easy to live with either. Chamomilia also works for both my daughter and I. We call them our happy pills.

Two other generally useful remedies are Arnica and Aconite. Arnica is great for general pain, and is a must-have for any first-aid kit. It’s also good for pain after childbirth, and for any of those bumps little (and big) kids get. Aconite is a good remedy to take when you feel like you’re coming down with a cold. As my body is giving most of its stuff to this fetus, I’ve found myself fighting a lot of colds this year. Aconite helps give a little extra oomph (along with Vitamin C) so that I don’t end up with a full-blown out illness.

WHAT IS HOMEOPATHY?

Never tried homeopathy and don’t really know what I’m talking about? Homeopathy is an alternative to traditional medicine as drugs really only treat the symptoms rather than the root cause. If you have a headache, taking aspirin may remove the pain in your head, but it won’t fix the allergy, stress or other problem your body is experiencing. And the headache will return.

Homeopathy focuses on the whole person, and ties together physical symptoms with emotional ones, paying attention to the entire way you respond to an illness or stress rather than just what is most apparent (ie. the headache).

Homeopathy is a safe and effective system of medicine with no side effects, that assists the body's efforts to heal itself physically, mentally and emotionally. 

My family has been using homeopathy for my entire life. I see it work wonders on kids, in particular. Nothing works better than homeopathic teething tablets for those babies! It can take longer for adults to see results — probably because we have so many toxins in our bodies that it’s harder for our bodies to respond to these gentle treatments.

A great place to buy remedies is from Luyties, 1-800-Homeopathy.

WHERE CAN YOU BUY HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES?

For years, my family has purchased items from Luyties Pharmacal, a company that’s been in business for over 150 years. Buy items at their web site http://www.1-800homeopathy.com. 

Most Natural Foods Coops carry some remedies, although the supply can be limited. 

One of the largest selections in the Twin Cities is available at Present Moment, 3546 Grand Avenue S., Minneapolis 55408. www.presentmoment.com

FURTHER READING
If you’re new to homeopathy, I recommend these books:

• Homeopathic Medicine At Home by Maesimund B. Panos
This one-volume compendium of homeopathic information includes the history of homeopathy, an explanation of its principles, and advice on dosage. A full pharmacopoeia of natural remedies for common ailments and injuries, it also contains sections on homeopathy for children and pets.

• The Complete Homeopathy Handbook: Safe and Effective Ways to Treat Fevers, Coughs, Colds and Sore Throats, Childhood Ailments, Food Poisoning, Flu, and a Wide Range of Everyday Complaints by Miranda Castro 
The Complete Homeopathy Handbook is the definitive guide for using homeopathic remedies at home. It includes A-to-Z listings for external and internal remedies, with explanations for correctly diagnosing the symptoms of any particular injury or illness. The book also includes ten case studies and specific dos and don'ts to follow when treating more than seventy conditions.

PROFESSIONAL ADVICE
You may feel more comfortable with someone trained in homeopathy advising you on which remedies to take. There are many qualified homepathy and naturopaths around. I see the homeopath in Cambridge, Beth Knudtsen-Spears of Classical Homeopathy, and highly recommend her. 
www.spearsnaturalhealth.com
807 Main Street North, Cambridge, MN 55008
(763) 552-4325

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails