13 February 2012

First trimester blues


This second pregnancy has been nothing like the first. In fact, I realized I was pregnant before the tests showed it because suddenly all the things I loved (particularly coffee) left me feeling sick. It just got worse from there. I counted down the days until the start of my second trimester. Lucky for me, the naseau tapered down as I got to that mark and mostly ended within a few weeks of entering my second trimester. I’ve been careful about eating good food since — the stuff with spices, garlic and onions — to avoid the possibility of getting sick again. I have much more sympathy now for anyone who suffers during their pregnancy! 

I don’t think there is anyway to completely get rid of naseau during the first trimester (and my midwife told me its the sign of a healthy pregnancy as that baby is implanting well), but I found a few things to help.


This sparkling water (no sugar, no calories) has been a lifesaver for me.
1) LaCroix Sparkling Coconut Water
When I take out a can, my daughter knows mommy is sick. Even at 2 and a half, she’s smart enough to tell me I need “pop” when I tell her I am sick. Such a sweetie. I love this flavor best because it is lighter than the berry and lime ones, and lacks the bit of acid some of the others do. I also like it because, unlike Ginger Ale, it isn’t packed with sugar and calories. (And strangely enough, processed sugar was one of the things that made me sickest.) It’s just sparkling water. Grab a can and feel some relief trickle through your system.


An age-old remedy for nausea.
2) Ginger
The standby for naseau is ginger. Ginger Ale. Ginger tablets. Ginger drops. Raw ginger. Scrap the raw stuff into your tea! 


Keep peppermint handy when you're driving or hanging out with friends.
3) Peppermint
I keep mints handy for whenever I get a stomach ache, and in that first trimester having a purseful saved me many times. Peppermint calms the muscles of the stomach and improves the flow of bile, which the body uses to digest fats. 

4) Naps
I love naps. Lucky for me, my daughter still naps, most of the time anyway. I definitely needed that mid-day rest in order to keep functioning the rest of the day. I still need it in my second trimester!

5) Figure out your triggers and AVOID THEM. AT. ALL. COSTS. My problem was that EVERYTHING seemed to trigger my stomach issues. I did finally wise up to sugar, and cut that out. I started using a bit of honey to sweeten my tea instead. I tried to eat foods that were simple. Plain potatoes. Plain lettuce. Rice without the tomatoes, vegetables and garlic I usually add. I completely removed onions from my diet. I have to confess I ate a lot of Ramen noodles with stewed tomatoes because I knew that would work for me. I didn’t feel healthy, but at least I was getting something down.

I hope you feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails