24 January 2011

Coffee shouldn’t be this hard to find

My search for a cup of coffee in the cities hasn’t gone well.


It shouldn’t be so difficult. This is the Twin Cities, the mecca of coffee houses in the state. Right? That’s what I thought before I lived down here and I used to explore the city by checking out fun coffeehouses with a friend.


Now I think it’s impossible.


Here is exactly what I’m looking for: A quiet coffee house where I can study. It needs to be open until 10 p.m. I’d appreciate it if there weren’t a million people inside chatting loudly. I’d like it to be locally owned (aka not a chain). It would be great if it were located within 5 minutes of my apartment and had convenient, free parking. And it needs to make a good mocha (not too sweet, not too bitter) with fresh whipped cream (none of that Redi Whip crap).


I’m still looking.


I remembered a great coffee shop a friend and I had visited twice somewhere off University Avenue. But try as I might, I couldn’t find the right spot on University and settled for a Starbucks at 815 South 25th Avenue near the U of M campus. At first, it seemed perfect. There were two men at one table, and I took another small table in the corner. But soon, I and the girl behind the counter were the only women in the place. It was packed with Somali men — loudly speaking Somali men. I couldn’t hear my computer keys clack above the din. Strike that coffee shop off my list.


The next week I decided to go looking for Overflow Espresso Cafe again. This time I went farther east on University than I thought it would be, and I found it at 2929 University. I was sure this was going to be

the one. They have a fantastic sculpture in the center of the coffee shop and a great view of a pond out the windows. It’s also huge, and a lot of people go there, so it’s noisy. What was worse, however, was the industrial-sized ceiling fans spitting cold air down on an already cool autumn evening. Brr. I was so cold, my fingers wouldn’t type.


Enough with trying to find my own coffee shop. It was time to ask my friend, neighbor, former Isanti County resident and 12-year Minneapolis resident where the nearest and best coffee shop was. She suggested the May Day Cafe off Bloomington. Of course, a few days later when I went to find the place with the deadline for a paper looming over my head and a screaming kid at home, I couldn’t remember the street or name. So I used the Where? app on my phone, but only found a Maya Cafe. It had shut down.


I kept driving south and found a Caribou at Minnehaha Parkway and Cedar. It would have to do for now.


Another week brought another search. I walked up to the May Day Cafe at 34th and Bloomington. The doors were locked at 6:30 p.m. I got back

in my car, drove around the block and headed south on Bloomington again. The Sisters Sludge coffee house at 45th and Bloomington looked promising. But it wasn’t. As I stepped up to order my cup of joe, another woman asked how late the place was open; I had 15 minutes until it closed at 7 p.m. It was back to Caribou at Minnehaha and Cedar. I felt like I was back in my small town where everything closes by 6 p.m.


The next Tuesday I tried to find the 2nd Moon, which was supposedly within a mile of my apartment at 2225 East Franklin. Couldn’t find the small storefront in the dark; should have activated my Google Navigation. The Wolves Den at 1530 East Franklin is closed in the evenings. Back to Caribou at Minnehaha and Cedar — at least I can find that place.


The next week I decided to head west to Uptown, although that’s past my 5-minute drive. I turned

left at Lyndale to see what was nearby, and drove past Bob’s Java Hut. Hmmm... As a biker, I’d always wanted to check that place out, and this night seemed as good as any other. I walked in — and was greeted by some funky music and a low mumbling of voices. I parked myself near the back and got to work. No one hit on me. I was able to block out the other various conversations around me. This coffee shop held promise.


I went back the next week. There were a few more people this time so I switched spots twice and it was a bit cold, but it’s still the best I’ve found. There’s a relaxing atmosphere, and great motorcycle art on the walls. The mochas are perfect.


Bob’s Java Hut — you’re my new study spot.


2651 South Lyndale Avenue, Minneapolis

www.bobsjavahut.com

Hours:

Monday to Thursday 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Friday 6 a.m. to midnight

Saturday 7 a.m. to midnight

Sunday 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Open 365 days a year

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Little by little, you are getting it. Of course, the "search nearby" feature on Google Maps is awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mango has a t-shirt from there, but I've never actually set foot in the place...guess I know where I'm going to have to go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tesha, I work at WHERE and I am sorry we came up short in coffee shop hunt. It sounds like Bob's Java Hut is great, here's a couple more spots I found nearby. If you need anymore help, go ahead and shoot me an email at jennie@where.com

    Angry Catfish Bicycle & Coffee Bar: http://www.angrycatfishbicycle.com/

    Dunn Bros Coffee: http://where.com/search?loc=cbj8n7df&q=Dunn+Bros+Coffee

    Wilde Roast Cafe: http://where.com/search?loc=9zvxvyp3&q=Wilde+Roast+Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, Kelli! Slowly, but surely, right?

    MidnightCafe - You will have to visit there... I want to go in the summer too, when tables are set up outside.

    And, Jennie, I appreciate the help and names of new coffee shops to try. WHERE has been good to me in the past, and I'm sure I'll use it again next time I need to find something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails