22 January 2011

Thoughts from the dentist’s chair


I found myself in the dentist’s chair the other week wondering how I am going to instill good dental habits in my daughter. I have to confess I don’t have the best flossing habits, as noticed by my dental hygienist. “How often do you floss?” she asked me. What’s the best way to answer this question, I wondered. “I have ups and downs,” I responded. Meaning: I floss a week or so after my dental cleaning and then don’t again until two days before my next dentist appointment.


Then I really got to thinking as she got down to scrubbing my teeth and I couldn’t open my mouth to say anything anyway. I don’t have a good flossing habit — and I blame my mom. I really do. She made us brush our teeth two times a day, and I do that religiously. I can’t live without brushing my teeth two times a day. But I almost never brush more than that, and I know of some people who absolutely have to brush after lunch too. And I don’t floss. Almost ever.


Will my daughter be blaming me for her poor dental habits in another 30 years?


Will she be blaming me for other annoying habits, like leaving her water glasses all over the house, vacuuming only when it’s really dirty and being late to everything? Will she blame me for other things? Like smothering her or getting after her for stupid, little things? Will she review her life and blame me for not being able to communicate her thoughts and feelings to the man she loves? Just what will my failings be as a parent?


How can I avoid them?


Is there any way to avoid them?


I wish I could be that perfect mom, but the simple truth is no matter how hard I try I'm pretty sure I'll never be that person. (And I'm pretty sure she doesn't exist anyway.) But how can I minimize the damage? The answer to that might take longer to ascertain than I have dentist appointments for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails