01 June 2011

DIY Expand your book shelves



When we moved into our new house, my bookshelves didn’t work like they had in the old house. The one that had been custom-made for our upstairs hallway only fit on one wall in my daughter’s room. That meant I had roughly 100 books without a home.


That simply wouldn’t do.


But I wasn’t sure how to solve this problem until I went to the Parade of Home Remodeler’s Tour earlier this year. I was inspired by a set of bookshelves someone made using just brackets and boards. It could be placed anywhere.


In other words, I could take advantage of wall space that wasn’t good for much else. Like in my stairwell and my upstairs hallway. In general, I hate hallways because I think they’re a waste of space. But my mom saw potential in mine. After looking hard at it every day for two months, I saw it too.


The original plan was to put bookshelves above the door frames on both sides. But I wasn’t sure how to fit in the brackets with all the door openings. And what would I do at the far wall where I would have to link up three sides?


I decided to start with one shelf and work from there.


Off I trotted to Home Depot for the brackets and the white melanine shelves. I spent forever standing in the aisle trying to figure out what type of bracket to buy, and ended up with a plain white one. I liked its simple lines. The brackets were about $6 each, but I bought three for each 10-inch-wide by 6-foot long shelf. The boards weren’t too much either, but I think I spent as much on these shelves as I would have on a free-standing bookshelf from Ikea. And it would have used up floor space I didn’t have. The goal was to take advantage off any cranny I had.

NEED:

• Screws (the ones that came with the brackets are junk and I immediately stripped them out.) I recommend 2-inch-long screws.

• Stud finder

• Power screwgun

• Pencil

• Tape measure

• Shelves

• Brackets


PUT ‘EM UP

I used the ceiling as my base point for measuring and just hoped that it wasn’t too uneven. After I found the studs, I measured down for each support bracket, placing a pencil mark where the two met. I made the shelf even with the top of the trim around the doors in case I extend the shelves. The toughest part was at the far end where I couldn’t get a ladder directly underneath what I was working on. That meant I couldn’t put my full weight/strength behind the screw gun. The nails went in slower, and I admit, more crooked.


After the brackets were up, I popped the shelf on. Then I screwed a little screw into the front hole on the bracket to keep the shelf from sliding around.


In hindsight, I would have picked a slimmer shelf. The shelf is just wider than I need for the paperbacks I put up there. And I definitely won’t be putting a shelf on both sides of the hallway as I think that will close the space in too much. I also decided to just do one row as otherwise I think we will hit our heads in the middle of the night.

MORE COWBELL — ER SHELVES

After enjoying the first shelf I put up for a few weeks, I decided that a better place for them would be at the top of the stairs. The wall is really high there, and I just knew all that space could be put to good use.


Back off to Home Depot. This time I decided to do shorter and skinner shelves (4 foot by 8 inch) — but more of them. The smaller brackets and shorter shelves were cheaper than the larger ones had been. Because I had my method down, they went up faster. Between the new ones and the old ones, my children’s/teen chapter books have a place of their own. Perfect! And for now I have two shelves on my big corner bookshelf that are empty. Finally I have some room to grow.


It’s time to catalogue! Anyone know off a good app/website that helps organize one’s collection of books? I want to made a complete list — and I don’t want it to take forever. I have a lot of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails